Or else revani! Good morning to you all how are you today? I have a very delicious cake for you today if are a coconut lover like me!
Revani is a Greek cake made only with semolina. If you add half four, half semolina it becomes a cake and revani at the same time, so the title is entirely subjective! This wonderful and delicious cake gets soaked in delicious lemon-syrup and it’s just heavenly!
I have been looking for a descent semolina cake for a long time and the truth is that I have found one. It was very good. Something was missing though; The texture, the balance I really don’t know. I am the kind of person who never sticks to a recipe given because I like to make it better and according to my taste. To stick to a recipe means that is simply perfect. Well that day was yesterday!
I usually don’t copy recipes from well known chefs because the truth is I don’t believe their giving away their secrets and the right ingredients in a recipe. Something always stays hidden that’s why you are almost there but not really. Only one young chef here in Greece, Akis Petretzikis, has earned my respect. That is because whatever recipe gives you, comes with its secrets and it turns out exactly as he suggests. I mean exactly!
Where were we? Oh yes as I was searching for a revani recipe I found this coconut cake recipe in Argiros Barbarigou site. I said what the heck I’ll give it a try. I am so glad I did! It’s one of the best recipes around, I must tell you!
It’s so aromatic, moist and balanced! Plus it’s easy and quick! I made it the first time, we devoured it, I made it again, it was gone overnight and then came my husband’s speech stop-making-it-you-are-going-to-make-us-fat-but-make-it-one-last-time!Lol!
So I couldn’t help myself, I had to share this recipe with you even if it’s not mine! You can visit Argiros original recipe here!
Until next time! Filia!
If you love coconut then this is a very simple, quick and delicious moist coconut cake to satisfy your sweet tooth! It will become a favorite!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup semolina
- 1 cup butter in room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ cup coconut flakes
- 200gr Greek yogurt
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 20gr. baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla powder
- Zest from one lemon
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- Peels from a lemon
- Beat butter and sugar until you have a fluffy cream.
- Add yolks one at a time.
- Add yogurt, coconut, lemon zest, vanilla powder and beat a bit more to mix everything all together.
- Beat egg whites until you have a meringue that forms stiff peaks.
- Gradually add meringue to your mixture.
- Continue by adding gradually flour and semolina.
- Butter a medium baking pan and add your mixture. Bake in 170 Celsius for 30-40 minutes.
- When your cake is golden brown withdraw from the oven and immediately cut in pieces and pour your hot syrup all over. Pour it evenly and gently, only a ladleful each time.
- Let it cool for 15 minutes and spread coconut flakes all over!