And I am not kidding at all. I know around its all the best this, the best that and I try to avoid expressions like that but whenever I use it, is literal. It’s a perfect creamy and tasty egg – lemon sauce for your soups and many other dishes.
I think that egg-lemon sauce is not very popular, besides Greece, maybe I am wrong. The title itself is not very alluring and that’s why I want to shout: PLEASE PEOPLE GIVE IT A TRY. Basically it is a sauce used in soups to provide a thicker and creamier result. Plus it gives a sour flavor because of the lemon, which we simply love.
In Greece we use it in soups, stuffed cabbage rolls, stuffed marrows and much more. I can say that with this sauce all of the dishes mentioned above would be a totally different dish and it would taste..Not bad but let’s just say that this sauce takes it to a whole different level.
You have to give it a try next time!!!
Egg – lemon sauce is a thick white sauce to incorporate in your favorite soups and meals. Chicken soup, cabbage rolls and Giouvarlakia is only an example of where to use this sauce and the flavor simply goes to a whole different level.
- Juice from 2-3 lemons
- 2 eggs
- Corn flour (if needed)
- Salt (if needed)
- Pepper (if needed)
- 2 tablespoons water
- Start making the sauce when you remove your pot/saucepan from heat so as to cool down a bit.
- In a glass of water add the lemon juice and the corn flour (if needed); mix well enough.
- IMPOPRTANT: In each recipe corn flour is optional and it’s a matter of taste. If you want a thicker result you may add corn flour or you can skip it. In each recipe I use the egg lemon sauce; I mention the exact number of eggs I use and the quantity of corn flour.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs until they create little bubbles on surface. Add water and whisk a bit more. Add lemon juice and mix all together.
- Now it’s time to incorporate the broth. Take a ladleful and slowly add it to the eggs. Do not stop whisking. Repeat until the egg-lemon sauce is heated enough.
- If your meal needs more seasoning add salt and pepper to the egg lemon sauce at this point.
- Now pour the egg lemon sauce back to the pot/saucepan and shake well enough. We do not heat again.