Hi my dear friends!! Winter is almost over here in Greece, the sun is bright and its spring time!! It is beautiful!!
Today I have one of my favorite meals, giouvetsi!! It’s definitely in my top five. I don’t know what you think but I love the taste of pasta when baked. It’s a whole different thing, especially when you add chicken or beef.
I think this dish is my favorite for a reason. My mother’s water broke when baking giouvetsi and after a few hours I was born. My guess is that I was hungry because I was born a month earlier, lol!!
Anyway this is another traditional and much loved dish that everyone will enjoy!!! Filia!!
Another beloved Greek dish!!! Usually a Sunday meal when all the family gathers for launch!!Its comfort food, heartwarming or as we say ''mamas food''!! In Greek its called Giouvetsi!
- 1 whole chicken about 2 kilos cut into portions
- 3 large onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup red wine
- 500gr slightly concentrated tomato juice (tomato passata)
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 500gr tubetti, corali or orzo pasta
- Olive oil
- Chicken bouillon cube or chicken broth
- Grated Greek cheese like Graviera, Kefalotiri or grated Parmesan.
- Begin by blending onions with garlic.
- Place chicken in your oven tray. Season each side with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Heat a saucepan and add ½ cup olive oil sauté onions until they soften. Add tomato paste and sauté 1 more minute.
- Add wine and let it simmer for 2 minutes. Pour in the tomato juice and add the cube as well.
- Simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste. Be careful the sauce must be quite salty.
- Pour the sauce over your chicken and add enough boiled water to slightly cover it.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes.
- Withdraw from the oven, add pasta and back to the oven again for 20 more minutes.
- Once ready withdraw from the oven. Your pasta or orzo must be almost done and there must be plenty of sauce in the oven tray. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve with plenty grated cheese of your choice! Enjoy!